First day of New York Comic Con 2013 has come and gone and I’ve got the hangover to prove it. What I don’t have? Oodles of cool shit I didn’t have previously! Nothing really jumped out on me on Day 1 as a MUST BUY or even a “Hmmm…that would be pretty cool to have”. Well, back up. There was one booth in Artist’s Alley that had some incredible work: Sean Hartter had some really cool and original work that, if I go back for a second round today, may require further attention. Special mention to Acidfree Gallery as well for some mind-blowingly cool Transformer and Voltron pieces. Which, come to think about it, now that the money I had earmarked for Mondo is suddenly free, maybe I’ll go blow it over at Acidfree.
– South Park: The Stick of Truth looks absolutely AMAZING. They’ve created the first ever playable TV show and will most likely be one of the reasons I delay picking up a PS4.
– Kid Rock cosplaying as The Riddler (see pic below)
– Librarian meetup at The Tempest Bar.
– New York Comic Con sending out a tweet under my handle with no prior warning.
-Press and Pro day is barely that anymore; now that the con sells a ton of tickets for Thursday, it feels just like any other day there, just with slightly less people.
– NYCC ’13 seems somehow…diminished this year. The hallway between Artist’s Alley and the main floor, usually packed with stuff in previous years, was empty. There was no tabletop gaming area, so even if I wanted to kill some time and throw away some money getting just straight up embarrassed at Magic, I couldn’t. Like Shawn Michaels in the ’90’s, New York Comic Con has lost its smile.
-Where’s all the swag, you cheapskates!?!
A crap-ton of cosplay and booth shots after the jump. Check ’em out, don’t cost nothin’.