– Time to start digging around in your couch: there’s a $450 Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary collection for you to buy! Of course, since it’s only being offered in Japan, you’re going to have to scrounge up plane fare as well. Attention anyone who is living in Japan: buy a bunch, ship them to me, I’ll sell them, we’ll split the profits.
– As if you needed another reason to stay indoors: Troma Films has released 150(!) films for free on YouTube that you can start watching right this very minute (finish reading this post though).
– How many games have you struggled through for the sole purpose of the big payoff at the end and when you finally do get there you get “Thanks for Playing!” and a starwipe? Well, Joystiq feels your pain and is going to help you relive those incredibly disappointing endings with their look back through “A History of Whimpers: Infamous endings throughout video game history“. For my money, I think the ending to Contra was kind of shitty. Come to think of it, so was Borderlands. The worst/most recent offender? Rage. PEE-YEW WHAT A STINKER. What a beautiful, soulless game.
– Have you read Ready Player One yet? No? FOR SHAME. If you read this site on a quasi-regular basis, do yourself a solid (besides telling your friends about MB!) and pick up a copy of RPO at your local analog book repository , whether it be for FREE at your local library or for human monies at a bookstore. The book is, at it’s broadest, a search for the ultimate Easter Egg in a devastated world. Well, the author chose to do something similar IRL, someone won and drove away with a DeLorean for their trouble. SEE? Reading is important. In a very similar vein, check out The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Hot damn that is a good book!
– Can I just buy all the ReMovies posters now? For those that don’t know (ed. note: sniff.) ReMovies are movies with one letter missing from the title. Check some out after the jump.
– Completely unrelated but still super interesting: two gents are in the process of making every recipe from the Gourmet magazine archive. Every! Recipe! I read a calculation that says it’s going to take them 15 years to complete! Do you know how bonkers that is?
– Now this is cool: Apparently at some point in the last decade or so Phil Jiminez pitched a Transformers/Justice League crossover event. Sadly (ed. note: that’s a lie. You’re not sad. Not one bit.) while the event never came to fruition, some art did surface. Check it out (click to enlarge):
– For those of you have been reading ModernBorefare diligently (which we very much thank you for) know that it’s no secret how much I am looking forward to Borderlands 2. So the news that a new 7 minute trailer was released tonight at PAX is both super awesome AND super depressing. Awesome, because the game is right around the corner. Depressing because, like any movie that I am dying to see, I go into complete avoidance mode. I want the experience to be fresh and new, not watered down & ruined with a bunch of featurettes and behind-the-scenes pieces and trailers that reveal everything! I want to be surprised and that’s almost impossible now. Running a website that purports to pass along news and be able to talk knowledgeably about it doesn’t help the situation either. So here’s the deal: the trailer is below. If you’re on the fence about Borderlands 2 or never played the first one, you should watch it. It will catch you up on the happenings on Pandora and whet your appetite for the madness about to come down the pike. Brace for impact lads, we’re going in!*straps on helmet, passes out*.
I’ll be away from my computer for the majority of this holiday weekend (ed.note: what? No you aren’t! This was NOT approved!) gorging on beer & seafood down in the Baltimore area. But I’ll be back Monday, bloated and sunburnt, to catch up on all the happenings that have uh happened. Have am awesome weekend people! — IR